Take a look at iCody. I went around and around looking at bar code scanners, and it was the best for my needs.

iCody will work with FM Go, but it takes some effort, and it's not trivial. It can also scan into a website (which might be useful if you have a website front end set up for your database; it would sort of phone it in). Or direct to a Mac with the Thetis application installed (it then sorta pastes the info into whatever active text-entry field you have selected).

It also will just save the scans, including a time/date stamp and GPS info if the iOS device does GPS. You can send just the bar code data via Thetis (no time, no GPS). Or you can email the scans; that email includes the bar code data, GPS and time stamp, and is in an attached XML file. You could then import it or whatever.

They have good support, and the scanning is very accurate on my iPhone 5. They're at www.appthology.net. At US $8 it's worth it just to do a proof of concept.

And you'd also need something to create the bar codes. I use a dedicated label printer, the QL-570 by Brother. Their software works pretty good at doing codes. I've also used Labelist, which can take info from database files and generate codes, which is really handy. But I had issues with the quality of some labels; test before you buy. And you might want to use something besides QR codes; the different labels are optimized for different info and that might not be the best long-term choice for inventory.

Rob