I agree, George, that is utterly user hostile.
A workaround?  Use TextEdit?

But when I try what you describe, it opens a plain-text .shtml fine
without complaint, and also saves it without complaint.

I wonder if that is because I'm still using version 1.3? (on a G4 MDD
tower running OS 10.4.11)
Did NWP 2 become so belligerent?  Or is it perhaps because I have the
Open Dialog "Encoding" set to Automatic?

Surely Someone else will have more helpful experience.

	Ben Andrus in Montana