On my property in S. Randolph, VT, ½ mi. above the Second Branch of the White River, two eagles flew across my hayfield and sat for about 15 min. in separate trees at the edge of the woods.  One was an adult bald, unmistakable when it flew off.  After some confusion trying to ID this huge raptor whose plumage didn't match anything in my Audubon guide, I consulted Sibley, and decided it must be a second year immature bald.  I got a good long look at this one, as it turned this way and that, preening and scratching.

Joan Allen