There are a couple of birding events taking place Tuesday, January 1st that may be of interest.

Annual Norwich Birding Walk with Chris Rimmer and George Clark
Participants will meet at 9:00 AM New Year's Day at Dan and Whit's General Store on Main Street in Norwich and walk from there. Leader Chris Rimmer plans to follow a loop starting on Beaver Meadow Road, turning onto Hopson Road, up through Hillside Cemetery, cutting through to Pine Tree Road, back to Hopson, and then returning to Dan and Whit's around 10:30 a.m. Total distance will be about one mile, nearly all of it on paved road. The pace will be leisurely, with an emphasis on ensuring that everyone sees whatever birds are encountered. Recent birds of interest in the vicinity of this route include a Carolina Wren and flocks of Common Redpolls down from the north for the winter.

This walk is free and open to the public. Children are welcome, but if under 18 years of age they should be accompanied by an adult. Participants should be prepared for cold and potentially damp conditions, with sturdy, warm footwear (snow boots recommended). Please bring binoculars if possible. Should inclement weather raise concerns about whether the walk will occur, call Chris anytime after 8:00 AM at 802-922-8495.

George Clark
Norwich, VT

Annual Hanover-Norwich Christmas Bird Count
Continuing our tradition, we'll be welcoming in the New Year with our annual Christmas Bird Count on Tuesday, January 1st. Meet at 7:00 AM in front of Dartmouth's Hopkins Center next door to the Hanover Inn for route assignments. At day's end join us at Everything But Anchovies (Allen Street behind the Dartmouth Bookstore) to warm up and record the day's observations. To sign up or for further information, please contact us or Dan Crook: daniel.h.crook@hitchcock.org or 603-448-2544

Walter and Nancy Ellison

Mascoma Chapter of New Hampshire Audubon