A quick trip up and down the Connecticut River today yielded a lot of
Hooded Mergansers everywhere. (Ledyard, Pompy Farms area, Kilowatt). ,
several Mallards and Goldeneyes and a Gull-probably ring-billed, but some
suspicion of Herring. (Kilowatt Park area). , Just off the Kendall Station
rd. there was a Common Loon in the lagoon.  It looks to be an immature,
though it could be an adult in winter plumage. I hope it takes off before
the river freezes.

At the Wilder Dam outlook there were 2 mature Bald Eagles flying around
Perhaps looking for lunch below where 4 Common Mergansers were swimming and
diving. At one point the Eagles perched together and had , I think, an
animated conversation. Quite amusing. The pines on the Vermont side seem to
be a winter favorite spot.

Pictures to follow.

At home a small flock of Common Redpolls have returned along with our usual
winter regulars. Have not seen, however, a red-breasted nuthatch for quite
some time. Several sightings of Ruffed Grouse in the woods, and canine
tracks, maybe fox.
We have 1 inch of snow up here!

Happy Holidays and Good birding to all!

--
Cindy Crawford

Creature Kinships and Natural Affinities
Animal and Nature Paintings, Portraits and Prints
www.creaturekinships.com
Photos: http://pbase.com/creaturekinships
BLOG: http://creature-kinships.blogspot.com/