After another nice Quest Outing, several participants independently ended up at the Norwich Post office on reports of Pine Grosbeaks. As is the reputation of these birds, they were fantastically tame. While photographing them Cindy, Wayne, my Dad and myself attracted some attention from people walking by. With a group of ~6 watching, something else came to enjoy the grosbeaks too. It took everyone's ideas and several minutes to figure out what happened next, but using the sun and/or the buildings behind us, a immature Cooper's Hawk was able to sneak up on us and the grosbeaks. Without slowing down, it grabbed a bird from the edge of the ornamental fruit tree, and was gone down Main Street in a matter of a second. Despite standing within 20 feet of where this happened, all I saw was the tail-end of an Accipiter disappear around the Post Office with a grosbeak in its talons.

Photos of the grosbeaks should be posted on flickr soon and I recommend checking this spot for anyone interested in seeing this winter invader. At least 11 birds were still in the area after the attack and there is plenty of food left.

Also of note, a Northern Shrike on Bragg Hill Road around 1 this afternoon.

Spencer Hardy
Norwich VT