REPLY:  Stick on falcon silhouettes have worked well for us in reducing window injuries.

From: Upper Valley Birders [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lila Ollmann
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2012 10:04 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [UVB] Black-Throated Blue in Norwich

  On a sad and shameful note, I was responsible for the death of a female Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker who smacked into my kitchen window so hard my dogs went running to see what happened from way in the back yard. I tried to get to it before my dogs did, but as I found brain (I think) matter on the stairs under where she hit, I'm pretty sure it didn't matter that they got to her first.  2 summers ago, we changed some many-paned old windows to big plate glass ones, and now I wish I had kept the impossible to open and clean windows. I certainly won't be changing any of the others or feeling bad that they need cleaning anymore.

  Does anyone know if screens can save birds who run into a big window, or do they fly into them anyway? I'd already taped anything I could find over the biggest window that I'd seen feathers stuck to earlier this spring, but for some reason didn't realize the kitchen window was going to be such a problem since it's not as large.