Hello Birders,
Sure, I've been silent so far this year, but that doesn't mean the County
Quest 2012 isn't rolling on! I thought I'd take a moment to check out the
score before May migration rolls over us with delight. Once again, it looks
like a war between Addison (145 species) and Chittenden (142) down by the
lake!  But wait, Windham is not far behind at 140. They clearly mean
business in the southeast. Last year, we had 5 counties tally over 200
species. Can we get all 14 counties over the 200 mark? How many of you are
going to make the cherished County 150 Club? see
http://www.vtecostudies.org/quest/150club.html. Who's going to be the first
person to do it in all 14 counties? Now that will be quite an award.

Most importantly though, we are collecting an amazing dataset for bird
conservation and science. So far this year, we have all teamed up to plug
into Vermont eBird:

193 species
10,378 checklists
732,362 individual birds

County Totals As of April 25:

Total Verified Species  Addison 145  Chittenden 142  Windham 140  Rutland
129  Windsor 124  Washington 121  Bennington 113  GrandIsle 110  Franklin
105  Orange 101  Lamoille 91  Orleans 84  Caledonia 75  Essex 63
I hope you are all getting out and watching birds this spring. Happy
eBirding.
Kent

Kent McFarland
Vermont Center for Ecostudies