I had a quiet chuckle at Richard’s rather frank comments - he has expressed what we all feel from time to time.

User reasoning is as follows :

For any one vessel, there will be say 10 destination ports, with 200 transport documents in total. So 10 different sequences of document numbers, with a completely random number of documents per port.

While vessel is loading, there are many last minute changes to cargo, cancellations, changes to numbers of containers, late bookings, and it gets a bit frantic because a summary of all transport documents must be placed on board the vessel and the same summary must be submitted to customs authorities, prior to departure. Otherwise fines, confusion for vessel personnel and at discharge ports etc.

The users insist on a rigid sequence of document numbers, from one vessel to the next, with no missing numbers for any port or between vessels. This is the only way (so they claim) that they can ensure no cargo is “dropped”. They study the summary report looking for missing numbers (it is printed in port then document number order). The time they must spend trying to re-assign unused numbers can only be guessed at.....

I have suggested that cancelled documents are not deleted from the database, but are locked and marked as cancelled, with a reason & timestamp etc -the number will never be used again. Also suggested a summary view of all document numbers, sorted and summarised per port, with cancelled numbers in red. No deal. They argue that missing numbers will cause confusion at destination ports, where local agents will not understand the gaps in numbers, as they also rely on a complete number sequence as a control tool. I suggested sending the summary report to them, also highlighting the cancelled numbers for them, and so it goes on........

So I can understand where they are coming from, but it does still seem a case of storing the cups upside-down – it is just the way they have always done it. The inefficiency involved in doing it manually for the last 10 years makes me sympathetic to their request for help.

So any further ideas on the gaps?

Peter