from  [log in to unmask]

I'm in a 2 year community college ESL program.  Our college has announced a grant for obtaining and incorporating iPads in our classrooms. Initially, we'll only be have access to a few iPads per instructor (with more to come later?)

Before writing up a proposal for this grant, I wanted ask if anyone has suggestions on ways that (a small number of) iPads could be used for ESL instruction.

I've been doing some reading of online sites/article and have seen that there are some special apps for annotating and translating readings, etc. However, as my primary interest is speaking and listening, I would really like to channel my proposal toward those skills.  I have read that Rosetta Stone has an application specifically for iPads that includes voice recording and voice analysis, but frankly, I'm a bit wary of such technology as I've had less-than-desirable experience with voice analysis and voice mapping software before. But in case I'm underestimating it, has anyone used their iPad app and can share their experience with it?

I was thinking of using iPads with Skype video chat to engage students with at-a-distance conversation practice.  For example, I'm envisioning sending one half the class to our computer lab, keeping the other half in the classroom having them engage in info-gap and other pair/partner activities.  Has anyone had experience with this or another from of video chat for speaking practice?

Appreciate any suggestions!

Rob Freeman
Program Coordinator & Instructor
Language & Culture Department
Delaware Technical and Community College
Wilmington, DE