On 23 Dec 2010, at 07:30, Kino wrote:

As to Italian cinema, I was deeply impressed by Ettore Scola's "Una Giornata particular".

I am now watching Romanzo Criminale, la serie on dvd and I am impressed at how the Italians manage to have the high production values that you expect from the best stuff from Hollywood.

For anyone interested in the convergence of common crime and national politics in Italy in the late 1970s, I highly recommend the series:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1242773/
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanzo_criminale_-_La_serie

Talking of the best stuff from Hollywood, I am also watching Treme (I'm on holiday, for heaven's sakes). Again, fascinating stuff. From the people who brought you The Wire, Treme is an HBO thing about New Orleans three months after Katrina.

THDW