Re: OT: Hardware - solid state "drive"
Michael

Many thanks for that link -- you must have used better words than I did when I google the subject. What an odd tale. As you say -- looks as though a year or two might see some big changes. The differences between theory and practice is quite dramatic and what I was interested in finding out.

Are you still on the Macmini? I was interested to see that the latest mini is basically a MacBook in architecture. The discrepancies between the architecture of the earlier MacBooks and minis was really odd, I thought.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard
Publisher, Editor, Business Writer
The Worsley Press

FREE Bonus book offer. Get "How to make great ads for (sm)all business"  FREE when you buy "Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes?" or "How to Start and Produce a Magazine or Newsletter". Amazon or www.worsleypress.com

Geoff, here is a link to a review, testing and discussion of SSD.  My take is that at present, unless you have money to burn or are wanting to do some testing yourself, buying a SSD drive is really not worth it.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/apple/2010/07/01/mac-ssd-performance-trim-in-osx/1