Steve, thanks for knocking the blinders off! I don't know why I didn't see it, but I don't really need to use the concatenated field anyplace. I can instead use the 'person' ID number as the match field and determine 'current' status by inspection of the appropriate field to make sure I am looking only at current records. Auto-creation works fine now, and I don't have to put up with a kludgy fix to accomplish related record creation.

Thanks so much for the help.

Barrie

On Mar 14, 2010, at 6:00 PM, FMPRO-L automatic digest system wrote:

Date:    Sun, 14 Mar 2010 18:35:25 +0000
From:    Steve Cassidy <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: FMPRO-L Digest - 12 Mar 2010 to 13 Mar 2010 (#2010-42)

On Mar 14, 2010, at 1:27 PM, Barrie Phillips wrote:

Thanks Steve

I'm typing into a text field. In this case the portal to the related =20=

table contains only
a text field, two date fields, and a check box that are visible. The =20=

'person' ID number,
current record flag (yes/no) and the concatenation of the two (the =20
match field)
are hidden beneath the four entry fields.

"Allow creation of related records" does not work if the match field =20
is a calculation. (Obvious if you consider the situation; in order for =20=

auto-creation to work, Filemaker has to set the match field =96 but a =20=

calculation cannot be set.)

I'm not 100% certain, because I rarely use this functionality, but I =20
think you can get around the problem by using multiple (two in this =20
case) relational criteria =96 one matching the person ID and the other =20=

matching the flag =96 instead of the single calculated field.

Steve=