Error during command authentication.

From: [log in to unmask] (Wei Yu Tan)
Date: May 19, 2006 8:01:48 PM EDT
To: [log in to unmask] (Pamela K. Crossley)
Subject: Re: [SAHALIYAN] is "Tungusic" part of "Altaic" anyway?

--- You wrote:
Turkic political vocabulary came east for pretty obvious reasons, but strangely Turkic horse vocabulary didn't.
--- end of quote ---

Hi Professor Crossley

I remember Sinor wrote about some of these horse terms and his claims that the Turkic variants did not spread further east because of the Samoyedic/Uralic speakers who formed a barrier.

Again, it could be because horses were always essential and these words formed a stratum in the lexicon that was most resistant to change.

Interestingly I've read about the Ming dynasty horse trade along the borders and how the Ming officials desired Mongol horses. I wonder if the Central Asian horses are genetically tougher?

Maybe so!

Best,
Wayne