Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. LISTSERV - HPP25 Archives - LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Hello All,

As we have been meeting with students to discuss the winter term election, we wanted to clear up questions that keep coming up about Math 8!

  1. One question we have been getting is if Math 8 is a requirement for Physics 3 This is not the case; Math 3 is the prerequisite for this course! As a reminder, Math 3 is the highest calculus course that you would need to meet the pre-health prerequisites.

  1. In addition, we have been aware of some questions regarding whether Math 8 is a requirement for the Biology major. For the Biology major, there is a quantitative requirement. Math 8 is just one of the optional courses to take to satisfy this requirement along with other options, like statistics, with any stats course including BIOL 29 and Math 10.

  1. We’ve also heard questions about whether it’s required for Neuroscience Majors. This is also not the case.  This is like the Bio major.  Math 8 is only one of the several options to satisfy the category 2 requirement for the major—however, Math 3 is also an option for fulfilling that requirement!

  1. Lastly, we’ve heard questions about whether students who’ve gotten placement credit for Math 3 still need to take another calculus class.  No, you do not need to take another calculus course for pre-health.  You should take a statistics course to satisfy the rest of the math requirements. If you have credit for both calculus and statistics, it’s a good idea to take a college math class. You can give up your stats credit and take a Dartmouth stats class; keep your stats credit and take a higher-level stats like Bio 29; or keep both credits and take another calc class.  All are good options.

There are some majors that may require Math 8 (this is also a prerequisite for Physics 13) but we just want to reassure you that this is not a pre-heath requirement and is also not necessary to take to satisfy the Biology or Neuroscience Majors.  Math 3 or equivalent credit is truly sufficient for pre-health.

Please let us know if you have any questions – we are here to help!

Thank you,

Nicole, Sarah, and Rae

Access the HPP25 Home Page and Archives

Unsubscribe from the HPP25 List