Dear Dartmouth,

Over the past months, we have heard from many students – current, prospective, and graduating – asking about First-Year Trips 2021. In light of an improving public health circumstances and new college policies, we are looking optimistically toward this fall, and beginning to plan with our partners in New Student Orientation for First-Year Trips 2021. While we anticipate that there will be challenges and changes, we are confident that Trips will occur this year, and that we will be able to work together to provide incoming students with the sort of in-person, small-group, peer-led experiences that meet the goals of First-Year Trips.

And to that end, on behalf of the First-Year Trips Steering Committee, we are excited to invite you to apply to volunteer with Trips 2021, as either a Trip Leader or a Support Crew Member!

First-Year Trips volunteers work to support the transition of incoming students to Dartmouth, creating transformative experiences, both in small groups and across the entire class. Trips volunteers have immense influence, both on the experiences of incoming students, but also in upper level students and on the Dartmouth community as a whole. If you’re excited to play a positive role, we invite you to apply for Trips 2021.

The application is open until May 28th, and can be found here. Any Dartmouth student graduating after Fall 2021 is eligible to apply, and more information regarding timing, position descriptions, and frequently asked questions can be found in the application.

We invite everyone to apply, regardless of their backgrounds and experiences, or comfort in the outdoors. Anyone who is excited to help incoming students as they transition to Dartmouth is an excellent candidate. The main goal of a Trip Leader isn’t to be an outdoors guide – it is to be your most authentic self, be a supportive and empowering mentor to incoming students, and create space for your Trip to have an impactful experience. While many First-Year Trips take place outdoors, applications are read anonymously during selection and are not graded or ranked based on outdoor experience.

We are excited to work with you to create a welcoming, loving space for incoming students this Fall and look forward to First-Year Trips 2021. Feel free to reach out to the First-Year Trips coordinator with any questions or concerns ([log in to unmask]).

Dartmouth Outdoor Programs and the First-Year Trips Steering Committee

P.S.,

If you’re looking for other ways to help foster a meaningful transition to Dartmouth for incoming students besides working with Trips, keep an eye out in the coming week for applications to serve as an Orientation Leader this fall. Both Orientation Leaders and First-Year Trip volunteers play critical roles in supporting the welcome and transition of the incoming class to our community, and we encourage you to apply to both teams!

Dartmouth First-Year Trips Program
Dartmouth College
Robinson Hall 111
Hanover, NH  03755
603.646.3996

Kellen Appleton '20 -- First Year Trips Coordinator