To the Dartmouth community,

Cobra Senior Society stands in solidarity with the First-Year Trips director, assistant director, and greater directorate. We write to you all in response to the recent op-ed published in The Dartmouth titled “You’re Not Tripping”. This article advances the dangerous narrative that diversity of identity and merit are mutually exclusive — claiming the women and people of color who were recently selected for these leadership positions were undeserving. We firmly reject that sexist and racist assertion. Moreover, we celebrate and thank the women and people of color who do tireless work to make this campus a safer and more inclusive one. We already know the incredibly qualified individuals selected for this year's First-Year Trips directorate have this same goal of inclusivity in welcoming the class of 2022.

Though this article put forward a public undermining of marginalized groups and identities at Dartmouth, it is by no means an isolated instance. Far too often, this campus silences the voices of women of color, people of color, queer people, and many other minority groups. This kind of oppressive rhetoric is pervasive: so when we hear it or read it, we must call it out and shut it down. Of course, it is important to engage with a plethora of varying perspectives - including perspectives we may not always agree with. Yet arguments similar to that of “You’re Not Tripping” are baseless and harmful.

Now, what can we do from here? First of all, we call on our fellow members of the Dartmouth community to accompany us in rejecting the destructive ideologies put forth in this op-ed. Furthermore, we ask you all to hold yourselves and one another to a higher standard of honesty and truth seeking - whether that be in reporting, formal discourses, or casual conversation. Lastly, we hope for this particular moment to become a jumping-off point for us all to seriously engage with those who we may disagree with to ultimately bring about ways in which we can more effectively uplift all marginalized individuals on this campus. Let us all strive to make our college a safer and more welcoming place.

We send our love, love, love & support to all members of the trips directorate, and any member of the Dartmouth community who is especially hurting this week due to the op-ed. We stand with you.

In Solidarity,

Cobra