Hi Everyone,

My name is Holly and I will be the Episcopal Campus Ministry coordinator for 17X!

Tonight we are starting off the term with Theology on Tap at 9pm at the Canoe Club (27 S Main Street). Our topic tonight will be Pride, Loving, and Pairing up! We will be examining the role of faith in seeking partner.

June has been a big month for marriage related topics:

  • Today is the 2-year anniversary of the Supreme Court’s decision on marriage equality
  • Last week, Lyle Jeffs, leader of the Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints, who practice polygamy, was arrested after being on the lam from the FBI for a year;
  • The week before that, we celebrated the 50th anniversary of Loving VS. Virginia, the landmark Supreme Court case ending state bans on interracial marriages.

Some questions raised by these incidents include: What is marriage? What role does the church play/should the church play in defining partnership? What about the government? How is partnership similar or different to friendship? Is romance necessary? Vital? How do ethics play a role in who you date and why? What traditions are worth keeping, which are worth getting rid of? How do we renew and remake healthy paradigms for partnership? What do you look for in a partner and how does that relate to your core values? Do Tinder or the D-Plan help or inhibit conditions for finding a good match?

Please join us tonight for a reflective conversation over a round of free drinks and garlic fries. Everyone is welcome, we hope to see you there!

Peace,

Holly