APAHM Keynote: Linda Sarsour

Friday, May12th | 5pm – 6pm

Dartmouth Hall 105

The definition of who is represented under the umbrella term “Pan Asian” changes often, depending on audience and history. People of Arab heritage often do not see themselves reflected in the greater understanding of the Pan Asian community, even as experiences of traditions, racialization, and marginalization overlap. We hope to highlight this perspective by bringing Linda Sarsour as this year’s keynote.

Linda Sarsour is a Palestinian-American political activist and former executive director of the Arab American Association of New York. She served as a Co-Chair for the 2017 Women’s March on Washington and A Day Without a Woman.

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month: Navigating Home

When Pan Asian experiences span the globe, how do we define home?

Is home a physical entity, a location that can be traced on the great map of the world, or is home an abstract concept, the solace we find in our loved ones and communities? Home may very well be something that changes as we navigate our different identities through different spaces.

The nuances in how we define home then suggest that home exists as the individual journey we embark on: a voyage unique to all of us, one in which we find or create our own haven. APAHM’s theme this year focuses on this remarkable trek: understanding the home we come from, the home we live in today, and the home we strive towards.