Hey!

(1) The Dartmouth Action Collective and Dartmouth Radical have been reflecting on our missions and we're drafting a manifesto (see below).

(2) We're hosting a mixer tomorrow, Sunday, April 23 at 8:00 p.m. in Casque and Gauntlet (1 South Main Street, the brick house next to Dirt Cowboy). All are welcome to come and hang out, have some after-dinner snacks, and talk about your ideal Dartmouth. Chalking and candlelight sharing to follow. Feel free to blitz us with any questions & we hope to see you there!

—The Manifesto—
We, the Dartmouth Action Collective (DAC) aim to create a more just, inclusive Dartmouth, where all students, including and especially: queer, gender-nonconforming, trans, disabled, Black, Brown, Asian, Indigenous, Latinx, undocumented, poor, and those who otherwise exist beyond and challenge the Dartmouth norm(s) feel safe, supported, fulfilled and get the most out of their academics, extracurricular activities, and social lives. We are student-focused but understand the contributions of all of our community members (DDS workers, custodians, faculty, staff, local residents, counselors, etc) in making our student lives as successful as possible.

We recognize the immense power that Dartmouth holds financially and institutionally, on a national and international scale, and we hope to direct that power into movements for a more just world. We see that ‘Dartmouth problems’ are not specific to the school, but reflective of larger societal processes. To paraphrase a dear professor, “We must fight the practice of profits over people—whether it’s coming from Parkhurst or from Wall Street.”

Holding Dartmouth accountable for educating future leaders of the world means pointing out inconsistencies between Dartmouth’s mission and its actions. The College’s narratives advocate for global understanding and eradicating global poverty, yet, when it comes to its own investments, Dartmouth fails to hold itself up to the standard of critical thinking that it asks of its students.[1]

Our work, as broad and heavy as it is, requires a variety of people with a variety of skills, experiences, and interests. We have computer scientists, playwrights, artists, policy nerds,…and their contributions are valid. Our work requires healers, philosophers, comedians, data scientists,…and we need them. We have folks who come to every meeting, those who give their energy by taking care of other members, those who prefer to show up when there are more public actions, and those who do less visible justice work.

Our work is to love first. Every student deserves to be fully supported and valued. At present, that is not the case.

There is more than one way to be an activist. There is more than one way to be a part of the Action Collective.

—The Dartmouth Action Collective & The Dartmouth Radical<https://thedartmouthradical.wordpress.com/>

[1] “With fossil fuel divestment it’s a slippery slope...I get people asking me to divest from Israel, from private prisons, from the sugar industry; where do you draw the line?” — President Phil Hanlon, March 8, 2017.