Interested in an informal course on the most effective ways to improve the world? This term we'll be loosely following Berkeley's summer course on effective altruism. Unlike Berkeley, we'll be offering each lesson to all of campus, beginners and experts alike, the readings will be optional (but encouraged), and it's impossible to get a failing grade... or any grade, really. There will also be snacks.

Week 1: Framework of Effective Altruism

Effective Altruism is an intellectual and social movement that provides a framework for answering these questions: Altruism, Consequentialism, Maximization, and Egalitarianism (ACME). We practice thinking in this framework, and discuss its often radical implications.

Readings: What Is the Greatest Good?, Four Focus Areas of Effective Altruism

If you're interested at any point this term, then come to one of our weekly meetings Fridays in Collis 218 from 4:30-6pm (the first meeting is this Friday, March 31st.)