To the Dartmouth Community:

On Wednesday morning, President Phil Hanlon and Provost Carolyn Dever announced the Inclusive Excellence at Dartmouth plan. The plan focuses on addressing issues of inclusivity at Dartmouth for students, faculty, and staff. There will be three linked working groups responsible for making recommendations to an executive committee who will then hold their respective departments accountable.

While we want to acknowledge the school's efforts in these first small steps toward a more inclusive Dartmouth, we believe it would be irresponsible to overlook the ambiguities of the plan.The basis of the plan is accountability, however, it neglects to outline how accountability will be concretely measured. It also fails to mention our school's past inaction in regards to campus activism that has called for reform.

Despite the inconsistencies and ambiguities that we have seen from our administration, we strongly encourage the student body, faculty, and staff to partake in Inclusive Excellence at Dartmouth. We want to make our voices heard within this system, while also applying pressure from the outside.The plan allows members of the Dartmouth Community to self nominate and join a linked working group that will focus on these issues of inclusivity. We encourage our student leaders to check the progress of these work groups to hold these work groups accountable via http://www.dartmouth.edu/diversity/.

If you are interested in joining the working group please email [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], and/or [log in to unmask] with your name and which group you would like to join by the end of today. Lastly, we would just like to encourage our fellow students to continue to partake in different forms of activism on campus. Most importantly, let your voices be heard!

Sincerely,
The NAACP Executive Board