DEN Startup Bootcamp: Six to Start - Winter 2016

Entrepreneurship @ Dartmouth

Ensure you have a clear vision moving forward and get the information you need most to get your venture off the ground.

Jamie Coughlin, Director, Entrepreneurship at Dartmouth, will teach the 6-week DEN Startup Bootcamp Series during winter term. This A-to-Z series will address a wide range of key issues along the startup continuum and provide practical, down-to-earth guidance that will give participants a well-rounded understanding of how to put their ideas into action, including idea creation, market validation, product development, venture formation, venture financing, and an invitation to the DEN DALI Pitch Competition.

The DEN Startup Bootcamp is free and open to all students, faculty, staff, alumni, and community members. All sessions from 4:30PM – 5:30PM in the DEN Innovation Center 4 Currier Place, Suite 107, Hanover, NH followed by dinner and networking.

For more information and to register follow the link to http://den-startup-bootcamp-w16.eventbrite.com or call 603-646-8888

Jamie Coughlin is the Director of Entrepreneurship at Dartmouth College and the Director of the DEN Innovation Center and New Venture Incubator, where he oversees the growth of new venture creation and incubation through the greater Dartmouth Entrepreneurial Network (DEN) and act as the liaison to the economic development ecosystem. Previously, Jamie was the CEO and Entrepreneur in Residence of the abi Innovation Hub, NH's oldest business incubator, where he led the successful turn-around and rebranding of this 15 year old organization into NH's most active incubator and innovation center. In the process, Jamie was awarded NHBR's 2012 "Business Excellence" Award as NH's most innovative non-profit leader, as well as recognized as a 2013 NH Union Leader's "40 Under Forty" recipient. Jamie serves as the President of the NH Business Incubator Network, is a Board member of the NH High Technology Council, is one of three at-large members of Governor Hassan¹s Economic Development Advisory Board, and most recently as a board member of NBIA International, the world¹s leading organization advancing business incubation and entrepreneurship. As an entrepreneur, Jamie has founded and managed a variety of ventures, including an edutech solution focused around audience response systems and an online funding platform for the faith-based market. A New Hampshire native, Jamie received his BA from Princeton University.

TODAY - First Class – Thursday 21 January 2016

The DEN Startup Bootcamp Series – Idea Generation

Jamie Coughlin, Director, Entrepreneurship, Dartmouth College

Special guests: Tim Healy D'91, T'02, CEO, Co-Founder and Chairman of the Board, EnerNOC, Inc. & David Brewster, T'02, President and Co-Founder, EnerNOC, Inc.

 4:30PM – 5:30PM – Followed by Dinner

DEN Innovation Center, 4 Currier Place, Hanover, NH

Idea Generation

Come get the answers to the questions you have been asking yourself.

·       What is the “pain point”?

·       Where is our product/service sweet spot? That is, where do my expertise, passion, and opportunity intersect?

Special Guests:

Tim Healy D'91, T'02 co-founded EnerNOC, Inc. in 2001 and serves as its Chairman and CEO. In 2007, he led EnerNOC's initial public offering, which was named IPO of the Year by the Association for Corporate Growth Boston and Mass High Tech magazine, and received the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award in New England. More recently, EnerNOC was recognized with a 2012 Platts Global Energy Award for Industry Leadership, and Tim Healy was honored as CEO of the Year by the Massachusetts Technology Leadership Council. Today, EnerNOC is one of the world's largest full-service energy management providers with over 1,200 employees and operations in thirteen countries worldwide. Prior to EnerNOC, Tim worked in the Energy Technology Laboratory for Northern Power Systems, Inc., and held positions with Merrill Lynch, International Fuel Cells (now UTC Fuel Cells), and the venture capital firm Commonwealth Capital Ventures. Tim also co-founded Student Advantage, a Boston-based affinity marketing company that went public in 1999. Tim currently sits on the Board of Directors of the Advanced Energy Economy (AEE), the New England Clean Energy Council, Massachusetts High Technology Council, WeSpire and Genability, Inc., and serves on TechNet's Executive Committee and the Board of Trustees for the New England Aquarium. Tim is an advisor to several area start-ups and coaches youth soccer. Tim graduated from Dartmouth College with a Bachelor of Arts in Government and Economics, and received his Master of Business Administration from the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth.

David Brewster T'02 co-founded EnerNOC in 2001 and, as the company’s President, currently oversees the organization’s Marketing and Regulatory Affairs efforts. David has taken an active role in helping to shape demand response markets and has pioneered efforts to make customer participation in these markets more simple and effective through the use of improved data communications and automation technologies. Prior to EnerNOC, David worked at Beacon Power Corporation (NASDAQ:BCON), a manufacturer of energy storage and power conversion technologies for the renewable energy and distributed generation markets.  David also evaluated emerging energy technologies for Winslow Management Company, an environmentally-focused investment management firm, and developed corporate strategies for SolarBank, a global capital fund for the financing of solar energy systems. David holds a Bachelor of Arts with High Honors from Wesleyan University, a Master of Environmental Management from Duke University, and a Master of Business Administration from the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth. Michael Collins D'86 is founder of Big Idea Group, an innovation consulting firm and new business incubator.  In addition to BIG, he has launched multiple businesses, including NextHire, Launch Angels, Rebound Driveway Marker, 2Cents, Kid Galaxy, and others. Big Idea Group has also developed, licensed, and helped bring to market over a hundred individual products.  He obtained his AB in Engineering Sciences from Dartmouth College and received his MBA from Harvard Business School.

The DEN Innovation Center & New Venture Incubator fosters and promotes entrepreneurship. The DEN offers courses, workshops, speaker series, startup competitions and networking activities. In the heart of the Arts and Innovation District in Hanover, the DEN Innovation Center and New Venture Incubator is a tangible manifestation of President Hanlon's vision for Dartmouth as a hub of entrepreneurial creativity and energy.

UPCOMING CLASSES

Thursday 28 January 2016

The DEN Startup Bootcamp Series – Market Validation

4:30PM – 5:30PM – Followed by Dinner

DEN Innovation Center, 4 Currier Place, Hanover, NH

Market Validation

Ensure you have a clear vision of your target market as you move forward.

Come get the answers to the questions you have been asking yourself.

·       Why should I conduct market validation before I release my product?

·       What steps should I take to prepare for target market interviews?

+++++

Thursday 4 February 2016

The DEN Startup Bootcamp Series – Product Development

4:30PM – 5:30PM – Followed by Dinner

DEN Innovation Center, 4 Currier Place, Hanover, NH

Product Development

Come get the answers to the questions you have been asking yourself.

·       How do I bring my idea to life?

·       How can I find technical partners to help me realize my idea?

·       What are the prototype techniques I need to build my Minimal Viable Product (MVP)?

·       How can the DEN Innovation Center & New Venture Incubator help?

+++++

Thursday 11 February 2016

The DEN Startup Bootcamp Series –Venture Formation

4:30PM – 5:30PM – Followed by Dinner

DEN Innovation Center, 4 Currier Place, Hanover, NH

Venture Formation

LLC, Inc., Co. - so many choices, which one is right for me?

·       How do I create my venture?

·       Entity Creation

·       What are the options I can choose to create a formal legal structure for my start up idea?

·       How do I inspire and form my founding team?

·       Where can I seek legal advice for my idea?

+++++

Thursday 18 February 2016 – No Class

+++++

Thursday 25 February 2016

The DEN Startup Bootcamp Series – DEN DALI Pitch Competition

7:00PM – 9:00PM

Loew Auditorium, Black Family Visual Arts Center, Dartmouth College

DEN Startup Bootcamp Class Members are invited to watch the DEN DALI Pitch Competition. Twenty teams will have two minutes to pitch their venture ideas. Viewing of the Pitch Competition is free and open to the public. Only Dartmouth faculty, staff, and students are eligible to apply to pitch. Contact [log in to unmask] for application and more information. Never seen a pitch? Come on out and check out the action!

Pizza and drinks will be served between pitches and the announcement of the winners.

+++++

Thursday 3 March 2016

The DEN Startup Bootcamp Series – Venture Financing

Jamie Coughlin, Director, Entrepreneurship, Dartmouth College

Special guest: Jeff Crowe D’78, Managing Partner, Norwest Ventures

4:30PM – 5:30PM – Followed by Dinner

DEN Innovation Center, 4 Currier Place, Hanover, NH

Venture Financing

So, money does it really grow on trees?

How can the DEN provide early stage funding for my start up?

What are the various ways that early state startups are funded?

How can should I present my idea to potential investors? And what are investors really looking for from my pitch?

Jeff Crowe D'78 joined Norwest Venture Partners in 2004, with over 20 years of CEO and executive experience in technology companies, and became managing partner in 2013. Jeff focuses on investments in the internet, consumer, and software arenas. In 2014, Jeff was named to the Forbes Midas List of tech's top investors. He currently serves on the boards of public companies Lending Club (NYSE: LC) and RetailMeNot (NASDAQ: SALE) and private companies Badgeville, Extole, Glint, HoneyBook, Madison Reed, Owler, and Turn. Jeff is a board observer at Minted and is responsible for Norwest's investments in Jet, Spotify, and Uber. Jeff’s past investments include AdChina (acquired by Alibaba), Admeld (acquired by Google), deCarta (acquired by Uber), Jigsaw (acquired by Salesforce.com), Nano-Tex (acquired by Crypton, Inc.), The Echo Nest (acquired by Spotify), true[X] media (acquired by 21st Century Fox), Tuvox (acquired by West Interactive), and he was a board observer at Cast Iron Systems (acquired by IBM). Prior to Norwest, Jeff served as President, COO and board member of DoveBid, Inc., a privately held business auction firm, which expanded during his tenure via internal growth and acquisition from a $10M revenue run rate to a $120M revenue run rate with 400 employees. Jeff holds an MBA from Stanford Graduate School of Business, where he was an Arjay Miller Scholar, and a BA in History, summa cum laude, from Dartmouth College.