http://www.vice.com/read/the-women-working-nycs-nail-salons-are-treated-even-worse-than-you-could-imagine-507?utm_source=vicetumblrus

[http://assets2.vice.com/images/articles/crops/2015/05/07/the-women-working-nycs-nail-salons-are-treated-even-worse-than-you-could-imagine-507-1430980701-crop_social.jpg]<http://www.vice.com/read/the-women-working-nycs-nail-salons-are-treated-even-worse-than-you-could-imagine-507?utm_source=vicetumblrus>

The Women Working in NYC's Nail Salons Are Treated More Terribly Than You Can Imagine | VICE | United States
We talked to the "New York Times" reporter who spent a year investigating the true cost of manicures in New York.
Read more...<http://www.vice.com/read/the-women-working-nycs-nail-salons-are-treated-even-worse-than-you-could-imagine-507?utm_source=vicetumblrus>

Let's talk about the complexity of being a part of the Asian diaspora.

What does it mean when we, as a pan-Asian community in the U.S., bring up the Japanese internment in the U.S., the Vietnam War, and Hmong refugees as examples of ways in which Asian-Americans struggle?

Do we conveniently forget instances of inter-ethnic conflict?

Of intra-Asian colonization/imperialism?

Of class disparities within the Asian diaspora?

On the other hand, does this history of inter-ethnic conflict and socioeconomic disparity cause us to cling to our ethnic identity and forget how we are all racialized as "Asians" in the West,

and the varying ways in which the U.S. asserts an imperialist presence in all the different places we come from?

Come and think about ways to build a pan-Asian solidarity while being conscious of the ways in which we are not uniform and homogenous.

Come by at 5.30 this Thursday (May 14)

Moulshri Mohan '15 is leading this week's discussion

Location: Lawn in front of Collis

Rain location: PAC room, Robo 104

This is the first in a series of weekly (bring your own) dinner discussions Asian/American Students for Action is going to hold.