To the Dartmouth Community,

We, the members of the Gender-Inclusive Greek Council, would like to explain our decision to support “The Greek Proposal.” We believe that The Greek Proposal, though imperfect, is a positive step with substantive reforms to the Greek system. We are particularly encouraged by improvements in sober monitoring policy, increased cooperation with WISE, and the elimination of “Work for Dues” by the Inter-Fraternity Council, actions that would begin the process of making the Greek system safer and more equitable. We feel that adding our voice to this proposal can assist in bringing these changes to fruition.

We also understand that there is still tremendous work to be done. Our Council hopes for further substantive action from Greek leaders to prevent sexual assault, stop high-risk drinking, and make Greek life more inclusive. We believe that gender-exclusivity is a problematic system in need of continual justification and examination. We also understand that many problems with the Greek system are cultural and cannot easily be regulated away. The Gender-Inclusive Greek Council will continue to actively fight against the deeply ingrained cultural norms that harm the Dartmouth community by continuing to foster a culture of respect and inclusivity.  While our interests and challenges are not identical to those of the single-sex Greek system, we are keenly aware that we too are responsible for social life at Dartmouth and are excited to play a role in improving it.

Sincerely,

The Gender-Inclusive Greek Council​