? TGIF!

See below for an interview with Spring Awakening's Daniel Calano, who plays Moritz! Come support him & the rest of the cast this weekend.

Come support Men's & Women's Track & Field as well, as they compete in the Ivy League Championships Saturday and Sunday!

WEATHER:

Friday, February 28: High 18, Low 0; Mostly Sunny

Saturday, March 1: High 31, Low 17; Cloudy

Sunday, March 2: High 30, Low 5; Cloudy

EVENTS:

Friday:

7:00pm: Men's Basketball vs. Columbia @ Leede

7:00pm: V-February Keynote Address - Dr. V @ Dartmouth 105

7:00pm: Nebraska @ Loew

8:00pm: Spring Awakening @ Hop

Saturday:

All Day: Men's & Women's Track & Field HEPS @ Leverone

12:00pm: MET Opera "Prince Igor" @ Loew

12:00pm: Women's Lax vs. Yale @ Scully/Fahey Field

5:30pm: American Hustle @ Loew

7:00pm: Men's Basketball vs. Cornell @ Leede

8:00pm: Spring Awakening @ Hop

8:30pm: American Hustle @ Loew

Sunday:

All Day: Men's & Women's Track & Field HEPS @ Leverone

12:00pm: MET Opera "Prince Igor" @ Loew

2:00pm: Spring Awakening @ Hop

4:00pm: The Great Beauty @ Loew

ONE-ON-ONE WITH DANIEL CALANO:

Give me a fun/random fact about yourself! Anything! (Favorite food/song or even what you're involved in on campus)

I love foco. I can make foco gourmet.

Do you have any pre-show rituals or things to handle nervousness? Do you get really nervous?

After so many weeks of rehearsing, I'm not really nervous to go out on stage as Moritz. I've spent so much time and energy crafting this character and personalizing him that I have trouble separating himself from myself when I'm really zoning in on the world of Spring Awakening. I have many pictures around my dressing room space that create that world for me, and before every show I spend some time meditating on those images and placing myself in them. Even putting on my "costume" becomes "getting ready for school."

How much work was put into the show? (Ex. hours a week of practice, outside work, etc.)

Auditions for the show were held the first week of classes this term, and rehearsals began immediately. We spent the first week and a half learning the music for the entire show, and then jumped right into scene work and choreography. We generally had 5 days of rehearsal a week, about 20 hours a week, and that included individual work between Jamie Horton, our director, and I to develop the character of Moritz. Something that a lot of people don't realize is that being in a main stage show at Dartmouth requires the same commitment level as any varsity sport (in addition to the outside work of memorizing lines, doing research, etc.) I would say Spring Awakening definitely defined my term.

Would you like to pursue acting in your future? Broadway, Hollywood, etc.? Or do you do it just for fun?

It's funny that you asked that as an either/or. I plan on pursuing live theater when I graduate, mainly because I find it fun and rewarding. I wouldn't want a career that I didn't find fun, but the great thing about live acting is that it's different every night, and you really can create something beautiful.

Favorite theatre production (ex. Wicked, Lion King, etc.)

I haven't actually seen that many shows on Broadway, but I love some of the more contemporary shows that move away from traditional "show tunes," much like Spring Awakening does. I really appreciate the nuances in character that you can get from shows like this or Rent, for example, that you can't quite get from bigger, grander shows.

HAPPY MARCH, DARTMOUTH!

Want to advertise an event? Blitz [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Interested in joining Student Assembly? Blitz [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>?