Get ready…because Dartmouth Cancer Scholars is starting up again in the fall, and we are accepting applications!

Dartmouth Cancer Scholars is a special program organized by the Norris Cotton Cancer Center, which is part of Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth and Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. Students are introduced to a vast array of topics and issues in cancer including medicine, health care, and medical research.

We are also very excited to introduce our new program Dartmouth Cancer Fellows this fall for undergraduates committed to careers in medicine, health care, or medical research with specific interest in cancer.

The Dartmouth Cancer Scholars is a group of 20-25 undergraduates who meet most Mondays from 3:30-5 pm at the Norris Cotton Cancer Center at DHMC for a variety of activities including speakers, tours, and discussions. A free bus from campus provides transportation. The programs range from basic science to translational science and clinical care. Regular attendance is mandatory. Dartmouth Cancer Scholars are always welcome at Cancer Center Grand Rounds Tuesdays at noon at DHMC. To be admitted you must be active at least two of the three terms of the year.

The Dartmouth Cancer Fellows is a group of ten undergraduates committed to careers in medicine, health care, or medical research with specific interest in cancer. To be eligible for the Dartmouth Cancer Fellows, students must have participated in the Dartmouth Cancer Scholars, or have significant research experience in cancer, or the equivalent. As a group, the Fellows will meet for discussions with Cancer Center leaders on topics of great significance in cancer. Individually, they will be matched with clinicians, administrators, or scientists for experiences related to their own interests. Candidates for the Fellows should be prepared to commit 8 hours per week for 2 or more terms. The goal is long term mentored relationships matched with skill development that will encourage students to consider cancer as a career. Funding is available through student research grants. Information on funding is available at the Nathan Smith website.
The Dartmouth Cancer Fellows are welcome, but not required, to attend meetings of the Dartmouth Cancer Scholars.

The applications for both programs are attached. Please send any applications to [log in to unmask] by September 18th.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at [log in to unmask] or you can contact our student directors at:
Victoria Rackohn: [log in to unmask]
Stephanie Von Csiky-Sessoms: [log in to unmask]
Ellen Pittman: [log in to unmask]