Looking to do a little spring cleaning and start off 13S right?

Try joining Dartmouth Animal Welfare Group in cleaning out meat from your diet on Mondays!

Why Monday, you ask?
From an early age we internalize a rhythm of Monday marking the start of a new week. And studies suggest we are more likely to maintain behaviors
begun on Monday throughout the week. That makes Monday the perfect day to make a change for your health and the health of our planet.

Why meatless, you ask?

For your health:
-Cutting out meat, even if it’s just once a week, can dramatically decrease your risk of heart disease by up to 19% according to a Harvard University study.
Research suggests that higher consumption of red and processed meat increase the risk of type 2 diabetes.
Red and processed meat consumption is associated with increases in total mortality, cancer mortality and cardiovascular disease mortality.

For the environment:
-The United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organization estimates the meat industry generates nearly one-fifth of the man-made greenhouse gas emissions that are accelerating
climate change worldwide..... this is more emissions than transportation generates!
-On average, about 40 calories of fossil fuel energy go into every calorie of feed lot beef in the U.S. Compare this to the 2.2 calories of fossil fuel energy
needed to produce one calorie of plant-based protein. Moderating meat consumption is a great way to cut fossil fuel demand.
-About 70 percent of all grain produced in the United States is fed to animals raised for slaughter. The 7 billion livestock animals in the United States
consume five times as much grain as is consumed directly by the American population.

For the animals:
-If all Americans participated in Meatless Monday, more than a billion animals would be spared from factory farms each year.
-Most livestock for the meat industry is raised on factory farms, where the animals are kept in crates so small that they cannot even turn around.
-Studies have found that pigs are comparably intelligent to dolphins.

Look for DAWG in Collis lobby starting at 5pm on Mondays for more info on why and how to go meatless on Mondays
+ sign our Meatless for April pledge! Email us if you want to get updates and ideas!