DARTMOUTH FOOD CONNECTION (DFC)

Are you passionate about issues around food and social justice?

Do you want to …
enable students to provide fresh produce to people in need in the Upper Valley?
facilitate interactions across Dartmouth and with the local community?
create a movement across universities in the US?

Then DFC come to DFC's first meeting of the term to learn more about what we do and how you can get involved!

When? Wednesday, Sept. 19, 7:30-8:30pm
Where? Paganucci Lounge in '53 Commons (the room to the left when you enter)

Who We Are And What We Do
            DFC is a new organization funded by the 2012 Milton Sims Kramer '54 Memorial Prize of the President's Office. Its mission is to connect the Dartmouth community to each other and to the local community using food as a medium. Realizing that food insecurity and hunger are major problems in the Upper Valley community, we have been working for the past two years in collaboration with the administration, Dartmouth Dining Services (DDS), and the Tucker Foundation to address this need through a series of hunger awareness and food donation events, which also sought to facilitate and enhance students’ engagement with the local community. Taking our work to the next level, DFC is a highly interdisciplinary initiative that realizes the ability of food as a powerful connector. It will allow Dartmouth community members to explore the importance of food to their culture, identity and social interactions at Dartmouth in order to promote communication and interaction across campus; and foster citizenship, giving students the opportunity to engage with the real world and to bring their academic knowledge to life through direct service. It organizes campus-wide hunger awareness dinners and food drives, and hosts student forums, potlucks, guest speakers and other events.

We currently have the following Chair positions available:

Cultural and Social Chair: Point person for events that focus on highlighting the cultural and social aspects of food such as a progressive dinner that involves Dartmouth's affinity houses.

Sustainability Chair: Point person for events that focus on promoting sustainable food systems. Work closely with the Sustainability Food interns and organizations such as Dartmouth Organic Farm and Growing Change.

Social Media Chair: Point person for the Food@Dartmouth blog and maintaining a media presence on Facebook and Twitter. Write about food-related issues and DFC's events and encourage other food groups to promote their events on the blog.

PR Chair: Point person for coordinating PR.

Community Service Chair: Point person for coordinating with the Upper Valley Haven and Willing Hands, local non-profit organizations we work with on events such as a Hunger Awareness Dinner and termly Food Donation Drive.

Universities Chair: Point person for researching and connecting with similar initiatives at other universities to help create an inter-university initiative.

"Create your own" Chair: Feel free to mention any ideas for a chair position that you would be interested in!

Here's the link to the application (due by Sept. 23 at noon):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?pli=1&formkey=dDNNY2VsSkxKcmUxN1FUdzlKREZHVHc6MQ#gid=0

Questions? Blitz "Dartmouth Food Connection"!

* Dartmouth Food Connection is funded by the 2012 Milton Sims Kramer '54 Memorial Prize of the President's Office*