UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2022, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Wayne Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 2022 19:50:07 -0500
I’ve been checking this nest off and on since at least last summer, and especially since a single early morning sighting of a Great Horned Owl by birders looking for Least Bittern. I’ve scanned the ridge several times hoping to spot an owl with no success. Last week, I witnessed a group of several crows dive bombing some hidden raptor presumably in close proximity to the nest. Alas, I didn’t have my scope. When I scanned the nest and area with my binocs. I thought the nest might be occupied. Today, I aimed my scope at the nest, and discovered to my delight a Great Horned Owl no doubt incubating. In the 90+ minutes there, the owl  did not budge though it looked around affording wonderful views of its ear tufts and facial disk.
    This nest is visible from directly behind the Price Chopper (Walmart Plaza). This is about 50 yards toward Plainfield Road from the Least Bittern pond. I was looking from close to a telephone pole. There is an open view to a group of about a dozen of the tallest White Pine trees on the bluff that rises behind the marsh. There is one outlier pine on the right; the nest is in the next tree immediately to the left., located about 10-15 feet below the top. A scope is needed to see the owl well.

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]