UV-BIRDERS Archives

February 2021, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Tig TILLINGHAST <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tig TILLINGHAST <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 2021 09:46:53 -0500
I thought I was photographing some pine siskins, but something was off. Later this a.m. after downloading the photos, I realized these were cross-bills of some sort (see first photo in link below). This led me to discover that there’s such a thing as a white-winged crossbill. I included another photo sho you can see the side/top plumage. This appears to be a white-winged female.

I’m not 100 percent sure on the ID, as usual, so I thought I’d throw this out there. The pictures suffer from being cropped to death, as well as having been taken by a warm camera just brought out into -3 degree air, but I think the basics are their for ID purposes for someone better at it than I am.

-Tig Tillinghast

PS: These were taken behind the offices of Northern Woodlands in Lyme, NH, where there is a pretty cool wetland complex. These birds were trading between white pines, feeding in the cones at the very top for about 30 seconds per tree before moving along.

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]