UV-BIRDERS Archives

July 2019, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Peter LaBelle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter LaBelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2019 12:40:31 -0400
At about 11 AM today my mom and I had fantastic looks at Least Bitterns at the pond/marsh behind Price Chopper.

First one bird flew out of the reeds on the close side of the pond and landed on the edge of the reeds on the other side. It was shortly joined by another adult. After watching them for a bit we noticed two youngsters appear out of the depths of the reeds... still with patches of down clinging to their heads, they were unable to fly: at one point one put too much of its weight onto a reed and fell into the pond and had to awkwardly swim/flail back to safety.
Eventually one adult flew away out of sight behind, the others staying at the edge of the reeds.

No sign of a rail, but there was a Green Heron.

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]