UV-BIRDERS Archives

July 2018, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
George Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2018 20:05:03 -0400
Less than three hours before the start of this morning's bird walk in Hanover and Lyme, a noisy thunderstorm was still in progress in the region. However, by the time the bird walk began, a predicted "dry slot" had arrived, and the rain had stopped. No rain fell during the bird walk, but water drops were falling off overhead trees and the vegetation under foot was very wet on a humid morning. On this trip, arranged by the Mascoma Chapter of NH Audubon, ten observers found more than 55 bird species with coverage along Route 10 in Hanover and along River Road in Hanover and Lyme.  Among numerous highlights were a Pied-billed Grebe,  46 Turkey Vultures by an East Thetford (VT)  roosting area, an adult Bald Eagle, a Wild Turkey, Willow Flycatchers still calling "Fitz-bew",  5 species of swallows over the Connecticut River at Wilson's Landing and apparently moving southward,  Overhead Bobolink calls suggested that at least a few of those birds were on the move southward. Also notable were a calling Louisiana Waterthrush heard on our return pass over Hewes Brook in Hanover, a flock of 5 Eastern Bluebirds, and brightly colored mature male Purple Finches. Species still singing this late in the season included, in part, a Black-billed Cuckoo at Grant's Brook in Lyme,  Blue-headed, Warbling, and Red-eyed Vireos, Chestnut-sided Warbler, American Redstart, Common Yellowthroat, Scarlet Tanager, and Indigo Bunting.

A Solitary Sandpiper flying over the Sheridan parking lot in Hanover was unexpected at that location where we'd never previously seen that species. The only other shorebird found was a Spotted Sandpiper at Grant's Brook in Lyme.  A Merlin perched in a tree by the Hanover Golf Course was a bonus for a few to see after the regular trip had ended.

Our thanks go to Sheridan NH for providing parking spaces to enable car-pooling. Special thanks go  to my three coleaders whose contributions were too numerous and varied to list in full. here. Susan Tiholiz diligently compiled records in the field and prepared the eBird lists cited below. Kathy Thompson played a major role in field compilation and tabulation of results.. Adam Burnett helped greatly by detecting bird species which might otherwise have been missed. My thanks to all.

George Clark
Norwich, VT

Links to eBird lists from this morning:

https://ebird.org/vt/view/checklist/S47505252

https://ebird.org/vt/shared?subID=UzQ3NDkwOTkz&s=t

https://ebird.org/vt/shared?subID=UzQ3NDkxMzc0&s=t

https://ebird.org/vt/shared?subID=UzQ3NDkxNTQ2&s=t

https://ebird.org/vt/shared?subID=UzQ3NDkxODk1&s=t

https://ebird.org/vt/shared?subID=UzQ3NDkyNzEw&amp;s=t

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]