AFS-USERS Archives

December 2015

AFS-USERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Richard Brittain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AFS users at Dartmouth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 2015 21:40:58 -0500
Because of the increased security requirements for system software in OSX
10.11, the OpenAFS client basically can't be distributed.  Auristor is a
next-generation distributed filesystem, very nice, and backward-compatible
with OpenAFS, but very expensive.  However, we have a support contract
with Auristor for OpenAFS, and access to their client software.

The Auristor client works fine with our servers, but the configuration is
somewhat different, and we don't yet have any automated scripts to set it
up.  Also, it doesn't work with the legacy authentication service that we
have, so we need to configure people on a new system - but we've already
done all the work to set that up, (and it works better and is more
secure).

So, with a few caveats, we can get El Capitan up and running and seeing
all the research file servers.

https://caligari.dartmouth.edu/downloads/openafs/Mac%20OSX%2010.11%20El%20Capitan/

Anyone wishing to use it should contact Research Computing.  The first
step is for us to migrate your account to the new authentication service
(which means resetting your password, and possibly installing additional
software if you use more than one computer with AFS clients).

Richard
--
Richard Brittain,  Research Computing Group,
                    IT Services, 37 Dewey Field Road, HB6219