UV-BIRDERS Archives

July 2014, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Peter LaBelle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter LaBelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jul 2014 14:58:22 -0400
Yesterday, my parents and I took an afternoon trip to northwestern Vermont, doing a loop around the Champlain Islands and ending up at Missisquoi National Wildlife Refuge.
We started at Sandbar State Park, in Milton, and then headed over the causeway across to South Hero and went to a marsh in South Hero where we got great looks at some nesting Osprey. Farther up South Hero we viewed Young Island through our scope to see the ring-billed gulls and double-crested cormorants that nest there.
The next birding site was Missisquoi NWR, where we saw two species of tern, the common and the black, and glimpsed a rail that we unfortunately couldn't get a good look at. There were two Black Tern nests in the reeds close to the road, and we got great looks at them circling around and bringing food to their young. On the way out, we stopped to let a train of ducklings cross the road after their mother.
After Missisquoi, we stopped by the Franklin County Airport to looks for Grasshopper Sparrows, which have been reported there all the time. We think we heard some, and we saw one interesting sparrow that I still haven't IDed.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/68961563@N02/14456699160/