BAHASA Archives

April 2014

BAHASA@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Jody Diamond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Indonesian language list <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 2014 15:38:19 +0000
I am looking for people interested in a large project to translate 60 interviews  I conducted with Indonesian composers. The interviews have already been transcribed, by the great Javanese dhalang Pak Tristuti (alm.). The transcriptions were checked against the cassette recordings byy research partner at the time, the composer and arts activist I Wayan Sadra (alm).

There is a large NEH grant for translations and scholarly editions, due in January. Part of the application is to present examples of the translations, and to present and give CVs for a "team" of a minimum of three people: a translator, an editor, and a project director.

Many of the interviews have been translated by myself already. Even in this case, I would like to find someone who supervise and/or correct this work.

It might help to know something about gamelan, and other traditional instruments in Sumatra and West Java. Since this is my area of expertise,however, I could probably clarify any questions that come up.

It is important to note that the final result will be a well-written and edited English edition, as well as the same in Indonesian. So I am looking for someone with excellent and elegant writing skills in Indonesian, although this could be another team member in addition to translator(s).

If you are interested, or know someone who might be, have them contact me. I can send, or post on a website, examples of the source interviews, as well as some work based on their content.

There are other parts to the project, like transferring and annotating photographs, as well as video and audio recordings. These materials, however, are initially considered as supplements to the interviews.

Many of the composers in this project have passed away in recent years, giving me moral as well as professional treasons to finish what has become a life work.

dengan segala hormat
jody diamond

director, american gamelan in