FMPRO-L Archives

March 2014, Week 1

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Jens Selvig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2014 14:11:27 -0700
I’m not as experienced as some of the members of this list, that being said, I’d put the portal in a one field tab field and trigger the script when you leave the tab. I suppose you could make the tab match the background and hide it.

Just thinking out loud but perhaps that would work.

Jens,

kinda frozen in Montana at the moment. :)

On Mar 2, 2014, at 2:01 PM, Peter Buchanan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi John
>
> The solution I have is a close match to what you describe. I did simplify my description of the portal records (there are fields for days in port, days at sea, days at anchorage etc), but everything works and the script quickly recalcs all the dates and sorts the ports into the correct order. So it’s looking really neat.
>
> When users leave the layout the script is run again, making sure voyage start and end date are correct ( as these dates are used elsewhere in the system). When rows are deleted, the delete button also runs the recalculation script.
>
> All I was wondering is – can I avoid a dedicated button on the layout to run the recalculation script? I thought I could trigger the script on each portal row exit, or on exiting the portal, but this does not seem possible.
>
> I avoid the on-mod trigger because it requires a value list.
>
> I could use the on object exit  trigger on each of the relevant fields, but would then have to be able to return to the portal row and to the next field – that looked a bit complicated.
>
> I think the answer is a button on the layout, users will just have to live with that.
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter

Jens Selvig
...Lost in Montana...