NISUS Archives

April 2013

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
B=C Andrus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 2013 21:58:44 -0600
Ben jumping in here:

It is a bit vague to me, not seeing the whole document in context,
but I was my impression that Nobumi wanted all three (or more) lines
to be a single "paragraph" so they could be sorted and stay together
as one unit.  What is vague still, is without more real data, it is
not apparent why the second line could not also have a forced line
break like the first line... unless you don't actually want a new
line where they are shown in the example text.  Could a right-align
tab be used to cause the number item of the second line to be farther
left than the rest of the body of the paragraph?

Or do I misinterpret, Nobumi?  I take the "soft return" you describe
to be the character that forces a new line without a new paragraph,
which is entered as a shift-return.

I have a different idea lurking in my mind for the term "soft
return":  Years ago, in the days of Word Perfect, the user could
access the hidden codes, and as I recall from the position of a mere
bystander to Word Perfect users, a "soft return" was the code
inserted automatically to make the lines wrap as we now take for
granted.  Sometimes it got bungled and the user would have to
manually delete errant "soft returns".  Someone can surely clarify
this point though.

Hope this helps rather than muddy the waters. :-)

	Ben, in Montana
___