FMPRO-L Archives

October 2012, Week 3

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Steve Cassidy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2012 09:17:30 +0100
On 18 Oct 2012, at 03:50, Jay Erlebacher wrote:

> I've been attempting to implement Steve Cassidy's solution, starting with copying and pasting a preview version of each report into a container field. It took a bit of fiddling because I had to find each report individually, copy and paste it, show all records, go to the next record, find that individual record, and repeat. It's a kludgy process and it runs very slowly, about 20 records per minute. I have 18,000 records!
> The script I am using is below. Am I missing something or making it harder than it needs to be?
> Thanks in advance...

Hi Jay

As I said, it might take overnight depending on how big your data set is ;)

And I did warn you that this would be a bit kludgy!

You could probably avoid the Find All, but I don't know if that would speed things up much. Three seconds per record seems about right to me; I can't imagine this process getting much quicker. (Though I use a pretty old computer; perhaps a modern super-charged, 12-core, etc. machine might make it faster.)

Are your patient numbers not consecutive or close to it? If they are, you could just increment a global at each loop (rather then setting from a field) and use that for your find. You'd just need a check for no found records in case there was a gap in the sequence.

Alternatively, you could first build a global list of all the patient numbers and build your find requests from that list. (Another trick: put only the patient number field on a layout; enter browse mode, go to that layout; find all records; copy to a global field.)

But as I say, I'm not sure this will make things much faster. I'd say you'd best just set this going one Friday afternoon and come back Monday morning to find it done...

Steve