AFS-USERS Archives

August 2012

AFS-USERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Richard Brittain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AFS users at Dartmouth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:27:41 -0400
The Windows AFS client issue noted below ('Out of space' errors) might be
finally resolved.

If shortcuts to network locations (\\afs\northstar.dartmouth.edu\.....)
were created using a pre 1.7 client, they will generate this 'Out of
space' error message.  The problem is due to the way Windows shortcuts
(.LNK files) stores data about the network provider.  With OpenAFS 1.7,
there was a major change in the network redirection layer, and old
shortcuts no longer resolve correctly.  The error message itself is
confusing, since it is the same one that would be given for real
over-quota conditions.

The solution is to delete shortcuts to locations in AFS, and recreate
them.

Mapped drive letters use different underlying mechanisms and never
suffered from this problem.

  Richard

--
Richard Brittain,  Research Computing Group,
                    Computing Services, 37 Dewey Field Road, HB6219