AFS-USERS Archives

June 2012

AFS-USERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Richard Brittain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AFS users at Dartmouth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:37:45 -0400
To RStor/AFS users:
   over the past couple of weeks we have upgraded all of our file servers
to the latest version (1.6.1) of OpenAFS, along with a special patch for
large (>2TB) server disks which should result in more robust behaviour
from some clients.

The new fileserver software has several code improvements resulting in
less CPU usage, which translates to faster server response when things get
busy.

The special patch addresses client queries for device size and free space.
Some clients, in particular Windows 7 explorer.exe, will query devices for
free space before attempting to write files.  When the server space was >
2TB, a 32-bit limitation could return negative numbers to the client,
resulting in bogus 'Out of space' errors.  The servers now return valid
data, capped at 2TB if necessary.  This seems to solve most of the Windows
client error messages.

However, we have observed that the error still persists in some
circumstances.  Please let us know if you have a Windows client and are
still seeing 'Out of space' errors.

On our test system, the error does not occur if we use a mapped drive
letter rather than the UNC path, but we do not really undertand why.  We
are working with the developers on a solution.

Richard
--
Richard Brittain,  Research Computing Group,
                    Computing Services, 37 Dewey Field Road, HB6219