NISUS Archives

August 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
A discussion list for Nisus & NisusWriter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2011 13:10:31 -0400
8bit
From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
On 8/24/11 12:13 PM, Žorvaršur Davķšsson wrote:
> Here are two videos about Lion that have caused considerable
> controversy. They are not for the faint-hearted. The script was
> written by Geoffrey Heard, I think. :-)

He claims to be a great Mac fan, but pronounces "OS X" as "oh ess ex."
Clearly he is not a Mac expert, judging from that fact alone.

Many users have been having trouble adjusting to 10.7. Many users also
had trouble going from OS 9 to OS X. Many users have trouble adjusting
to major changes in how their computers operate, and this is a rather
major change, though not as big as the one from OS 9 to OS X.

Many people also suffered traumas trying to go from typewriters and
adding machines to computers, and some of them never made it.

There is nothing forcing users to go from 10.6 to 10.7; it's completely
up to every individual. (Unless you belong to some sort of organization
that forces you.) A lot of people should probably not do it. (Although
they might feel that they are being kicked to the side of the road as
not-quite-with-it old fogies. Many folks tend to get rather emotional
about their computers, especially Mac folks.) There are also those who
swear they have to use software which requires Rosetta to run, of course.

I think those who will appreciate Lion most are those with laptops or
accessory trackpads, because using all the gestures really makes a big
difference (for the better, I believe) in one's Mac experience. Also, if
you are someone who prefers to keep doing things the way you are used
to, and seeing your monitor look the way it used to, it may be best not
to try Lion, or at least wait for a while to see how the next few
updates change it.

Personally, I think constant change is the essential nature of the
computer universe, and it's better to go with it than to fight it. But I
can understand how it would be possible for some people to have a "f***
you, Lion" response, like this fellow.

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]