AFS-USERS Archives

June 2011

AFS-USERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Richard Brittain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AFS users at Dartmouth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2011 16:33:39 -0400
Sorry for the slow followup with this issue.  From the testing we've done
locally, we see no complete failure of the client after applying the
latest Windows Updates, but we can generate data corruption in very
specific circumstances.

- Symantec Endpoint Protection "Network Threat Protection" installed and
enabled (tested with v 11.0.5, but 11.0.4 may also be vulnerable)

AND

- Network interface MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) set to something
smaller than the default (1500).  This setting is NOT configured by
default, and will not be set on XP or Win7 "out of the box".  However, it
is known to be set by some (misguided) software which tries to probe the
local network and optimize the settings.

Checking your system for the MTU setting is different on XP and Win7

Windows 7:
Open a command shell and type

  netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces

- this will display some configuration details of all the network
interfaces know to the system.  Look for the "Local Area Connection" - it
should have a value of "1500".  Note that VPN and some other types may
report "1400".

Windows XP:
Open a command shell and type (all 1 line)

  reg query
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\ /s

This dumps the network interface configuration for all the interfaces on
the system (there will be several).  You need to look for a key named
"MTU", which might have a value like "0x514".  On a standard system it
won't be found at all.  It is hard to look up the value exactly because
the network interfaces are named by unique identifiers which look like
random strings.

If the MTU key is set on XP, or has a value of anything other than 1500 on
Win7, email Research Computing for advice.

--
Richard Brittain,  Research Computing Group,
                    Computing Services, 37 Dewey Field Road, HB6219