UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2011, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2011 17:04:41 -0400
Earlier today Ed Hack and I, seeking birds, visited Lake Runnemede in
Windsor, the area around the Windsor Industrial Park, North Hartland
including the North Hartland Dam, and Dewey's Pond in Quechee.

Among the 67 bird species we encountered in our searching, a pair of
Blue-winged Teal at Dewey's Pond were our first of that species for
this year. Our observations of the Blue-wings were substantially
facilitated by a fisherman in boat, the movement of which led to the
Blue-wings, together with 12 Green-winged Teal, moving out towards the
center of the pond and away from their partial concealment along the
distant shoreline.

The area around Lake Runnemede was productive, yielding 3 Gadwall,a
male Surf Scoter, an adult Bonaparte's Gull, a Common Tern, a Cliff
Swallow, a Gray Catbird, a Parula Warbler, a Northern Waterthrush
(seen by Ed only), and a Common Yellowthroat.

Of the nine species of warblers today, Yellow-rumped Warblers were the
most numerous; we saw at least 30 at Lake Runnemede. Other birds of
special interest at Lake Runnemede included 2 Buffleheads, 28 Double-
crested Cormorants, a female Red-breasted Merganser, 3 Common Loons, a
Pied-billed Grebe, an Osprey, an adult Bald Eagle, a Sharp-shinned
Hawk, a Spotted Sandpiper, 5 Ring-billed Gulls, 2 Yellow Warblers, a
Black-throated Green Warbler, and a Black-and-white Warbler.

After my return this afternoon to Norwich, thanks to a report from
Susan Green via Chris Rimmer, I was able see the male Northern
Shoveler in the temporary pool next to the driveway of St. Francis of
Assisi Catholic Church on Beaver Meadow Road. A Carolina Wren was
singing nearby.

George Clark
Norwich, VT