UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2011, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
P Ackerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
P Ackerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Apr 2011 06:11:37 -0400
First Broad-winged hawk sighting for this year - soaring and calling right
above me by the Grant Brook outlet on River Rd, Lyme (Fri)

FOY Osprey - by Pompy Flats - first perched, then soaring (Sat)

And, RIGHT beside Rt 5, perched on a tall snag (in the wet area just before
Ledyard Bridge intersection) - a mature Bald Eagle (Sat).  The eagle was
nonplussed as cars and bikers continuously moved by, but a person on foot -
unh, unh - out of here.

FOY Hermit Thrush on the trail to Boston Lot from DHMC (Fri)

FYI - the trail to Boston Lot was still snow covered, icy and of course
muddy.  Not good for the trail or for secure footing.  We (Jody Schubert and
I) turned back and checked out Ledyard Bridge and Mink Brook instead.  Found
a pair of Belted Kingfishers at Ledyard Bridge. Not many ducks - a group of
5 female hooded mergansers, nice look at a male wood duck.  Headed over to
the the Mink Brook outlet by the water treatment plant - that's where the
waterfowl were hanging out.  Found lots of Canada geese, mallards, common
mergansers, several pairs of hooded mergansers, lots of ring-necked ducks
and one pied-billed grebe (hard to keep track of the little submarine!)

Other random sightings:  pair of green-winged teal at the "manure" ponds at
the intersection of River Rd and No. Thetford Rd., Lyme
American Kestrel - North Thetford Rd and East Thetford Rd, Lyme
Red-tailed hawk and male Eastern bluebird - Breck Hill Rd, Lyme

Back at my feeding station - still seeing a small flock of common redpolls
(approx. 20) and the junco flock has grown to 40.

Fun birding!

Peg Ackerson
Lyme Center