UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2011, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Lila Ollmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lila Ollmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:12:26 -0400
There are a couple of birds at the edges of my back yard, out of sight, that
I keep hearing but can't identify. I've listened to three different birding
apps after doing a search for "Vermont, NH" "April-May", all habitats
checked except coastal/desert, birdsong type "musical", "undulating" (one of
the programs had that option), listened to everything that I wasn't positive
that it wasn't. Then I looked carefully though all the UV bird listings for
the last few weeks and listened to any birds that I they might be, and I
still can't figure it out!

The only thing I am imagining is Carolina wren because I saw that listed,
and even though it's not like any of the songs I heard on all the lists, OR
youtube videos of singing carolina wrens ..I wonder if there are so many
different types of Carolina wren songs that it might be that, though it
seems slightly slower than most..

Here's how I write the song "Wheat-wheata, Wheat-wheata, Wheat-wheata,
Wheat" and a few times "Wheata-wheat, wheata-wheat, Wheata-wheat"   I
haven't seen it at all.. it seems to be near the tiny brook that borders the
east and south of our property.. maybe tending to sit near the brook?  A few
days ago I did see a very rust colored little bird sitting briefly in the
blackberry/honeysuckle bush area, but didn't get to see it with binoculars
before it flew away.

Does that kind of song pattern remind anyone of anything? It kind of has a
cardinal-ish cadence to it, but it's not as loud or clear of a whistle as a
cardinal, so I'm pretty sure it's not that. Pretty sure it's not a titmouse
either.. not as loud and clear as that either.  It's not even May and I
already can't keep up with the birds in my yard!

There's another song that's frustrating me, but I can't even begin to
describe that, other than that it reminds me of a the "close encounters"
alien tune..but faster, and whistled