UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2011, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Lorena Krenitsky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lorena Krenitsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2011 13:22:07 -0400
Yesterday a Yellow-rumped Warbler entertained me with its attempts at
flycatching here in Croydon. Apparently it's been watching the E.
Phoebes, because it was attempting to hover and snatch clusterflies
emerging from hibernation behind our garage siding. The hover was OK,
but the attack almost always ended up with him crashing into the garage
and dropping a foot or so before regaining his flight. He was unhurt,
and was pretty successful in picking off the flies, but it was extremely
ungainly and hilarious to watch.

Our Tree Swallows returned this week to claim their share of the
bluebird boxes, a Northern Flicker was checking out the fields, and
we've had a Brown Creeper and Y.B. Sapsucker calling from the woods. We
were gone for a week so we missed the arrival of the A. Woodcock, but
they're singing and flying their hearts out every evening now.

Also spotted an American Kestrel in a tree off Rt 120 in Lebanon this
morning, close to the intersection with Heater Rd.

Ah, spring!
-L
Lorena Krenitsky