UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2011, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Lila Ollmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lila Ollmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2011 13:07:53 -0400
Amateur birder question.. Do we have Vesper sparrows in this area? I was at
the boat launch area (I think) of the Kilowatt park in Wilder midmorning
because of all the reports on this list. I only have binoculars, but I was
able to see a  flock of about 20 ring-necked ducks well enough to be fairly
sure that's what they were. (think they should be called ring-BILLED ducks)
I stayed for about an hour watching and looking out for anything else I
could identify, but finally got cold and had to leave. But before I went
home I went to take a quick look at the picnic area to see if I should go
back there later (I should), but forgot to take my binoculars with me. On
the paved walk I heard a bird I was quite sure I don't hear at home. It
REMINDED me of a song sparrow, but harsher and huskier. I had my stokes song
collection on my iphone, so once back in the car I went though possible
matches, starting with sparrows, and the only one that sounded like it might
have been what I heard was the vespers. It was categorized with "Field "
birds in my "birdjams" list, and the area it seemed to be singing from was
full of tall dead grass.. field-like, anyway.

  I don't see many reports of Vespers on the list from the last year and a
half or so, and the earliest seems to be about 10 days later in the year
than now.
  I'm so upset that I missed the bird walk last Saturday! I had a huge
reminder for myself that I'd seen all week and forgot it anyway.

Lila Ollmann