BAHASA Archives

April 2011

BAHASA@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Waruno Mahdi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Indonesian language list <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2011 16:36:16 +0200
I agree. Looks like a very good guess to me.
In Dutch and German there is _Tentamen_ that is a preliminary examination,
apparently a loanword from Latin, in which _tentamen_ means 'attempt'.

In Dutch there is the verb _tentamineren_ meaning to subject to such
a preliminary
exam.
Dutch also has the somewhat more rarely used verb _tenteren_ (old
spelling _tenteeren_)
meaning (a) to tempt, (b) to examine (c) to pass or undergo a
tentamen-examination;
apparently from the Latin verb _tentare_ 'to touch, to try, to test'
(1st sing. tento).

Indonesian _tentir_, apparently borrowed from Dutch _tenteren_, however, indeed
nowadays means to collectively prepare for an examination.
The word _tentor_ seems to mean a tutor for a single or also a group of persons
to prepare them for either an examination or a job or something like
that, I think,
but does not seem to include an actual schoolclass teacher or a lecturer.
So it indeed seems likely to me too, that _tentor_ is an artificial derivation
from _tentir_.

Salam, Waruno