NISUS Archives

March 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2011 20:35:41 +0900
On 2011-03-11 [+0900 JST], at 5:04 PM, Geoffrey Heard wrote:

> hello Kino, Nobumi, Rick, Takamitsu Muraoka, Gene, and any other listers in Japan
>
> I've just been watching in horror the pictures on TV of the earthquake damage and then the tsunami sweeping across the land.

Thank you for your worrying about us. Indeed those were the strongest earthquakes I have ever experienced. However, the seismic centre is far away from Yokohama I live in. Personally I had no damage except a fall of 100 books and collapsed piles of 50 books.

Fortunately I was and am at home. But those who were away from their home –– Nobumi? are you fine? –– should have many difficulties in getting home: most of train lines in Kanto area (Tokyo, Chiba, Yokohama...) are reported to be suspended.

IIRC Rick is residing in Kobe or Osaka which are not or seldom affected by the earthquakes.

> and the pictures make it clear that it will be a long time before we know the final tally.

Well, we don't know how big the damages are in Miyagi and other prefectures near the seismic centre. As for the tsunami broadcasted, hopefully people residing there could escape in time and safely but...

Kino